Siem Reap, a city in northwestern Cambodia, is home to the magnificent Angkor Wat temple complex, which is one of the world’s most impressive UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The city is a popular tourist destination, and it can be overwhelming to decide what to see and do, especially if you only have two days. In this article, we will provide you with a guide to help you make the most of your 2-day visit to Siem Reap.
Day 1: Exploring the Temples
Siem Reap is famous for its temples, and it would be a shame not to visit them while you’re there. Start your day early and head to Angkor Wat, the most famous temple in the complex. Explore the vast complex and admire the intricate carvings and architecture of the temple. Afterward, head to Angkor Thom, the ancient capital city of the Khmer Empire. The highlight of this temple is the Bayon Temple, famous for its numerous stone faces carved into the walls.
Next, visit Ta Prohm, a temple that was left in the state it was found, with trees and roots growing around the ruins. It’s a magical place and has become famous as the location for the Tomb Raider movie. Finish your temple tour with Banteay Srei, a beautiful pink sandstone temple with intricate carvings.
Day 2: Exploring Siem Reap
On your second day, explore the city of Siem Reap itself. Start by visiting the Angkor National Museum to learn about the history and culture of the Khmer Empire. Afterward, head to the Old Market (Phsar Chas) and experience the local culture. The market is bustling, and you can find everything from clothes to souvenirs to street food.
In the afternoon, visit the Cambodian Landmine Museum and Relief Center to learn about the landmine issue in Cambodia and the efforts to clear them. Finish the day by watching the sunset over the rice fields from Phnom Bakheng, a hilltop temple with stunning views.
Tips for Making the Most of Your Visit
- Hire a tuk-tuk or a driver to take you around the temples. It will save you time and energy, and you can negotiate a price with them beforehand.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes. You will be walking and climbing stairs all day, so make sure you’re comfortable.
- Bring plenty of water and snacks. It can get hot and humid in Siem Reap, so it’s essential to stay hydrated.
- Respect the temples’ rules and dress appropriately. Cover your shoulders and knees, and take off your hat and shoes when entering a temple.
- Take your time and enjoy the experience. Siem Reap is a magical place, and you’ll want to take it all in.
Siem Reap is a fascinating city with so much to offer. With careful planning, you can make the most of your Siem Reap 2 Day Tour and experience the best of what the city has to offer. Remember to stay hydrated, wear comfortable clothing, and take your time to enjoy the experience. Have a great trip!